The two boys represented in this allegorical portrait would appear to be Phillip Albert and Wilhelm Heinrich von Limpurg, sons of Johann Wilhelm, "Schenk" (or Imperial Cupbearer) von Limpurg and Marie Juliane zu Hohenlohe Langenberg. The Limpurg family had established itself in the town of Gaildorf (Baden-Wurttemberg) from at least the 13th Century.
While little is known of the older brother, the younger boy, Wilhelm Heinrich (1651-1690) is much better recorded and appears to have succeded to the title; he was the last male descendant of the line and after his death the office of Schenk fell vacant, his many daughters splitting the estate.
The painting is an elaborate allegory of the family and their virtues. It was painted by the Nuremberg artist Joachim Georg Kreuzfelder, who was the court painter to the Hohenlohe, the boys' maternal relations.
Anonymous sale, New York, Sotheby's, 26 January 2006, lot 263;
Private Collection, New York